Volunteer Engagement Coordinator Region 9
Region 9- North Orange County
School on Wheels is a nonprofit organization made up of hundreds of volunteers, who give their time, talents, and support to the educational needs of children experiencing homelessness. Founded in 1993, the mission of School on Wheels is the enhancement of educational opportunities for children without a home, from kindergarten through the twelfth grade. Our goal is to shrink the gaps in the education of these children and provide them with the highest quality education possible.
Since 1993 we have:
- Provided mentoring and tutoring for more than 50,000 students – each one with a story, past, and future.
- We reach six counties in Southern California covering some 2,500 square miles.
- We partner with 400+ sites across our region. Those sites include shelters, school districts, and after-school programs.
- Each year we provide some 5,000 students with the school supplies they need.
Reporting to the Manager – Regions and working with the Student Support Coordinator, the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator drives organizational growth by strengthening and increasing engagement with the volunteer program in the following locations: North Orange County (Region 9). A successful Volunteer Engagement Coordinator will consistently meet or exceed School On Wheels’ strategic enrollment and engagement goals and be a strong advocate for our programs.
- Recruit volunteers through networking
- Train and support volunteers- ensure success by providing the resources necessary to tutor students virtually and in-person
- Conduct follow up advanced volunteer training
- Create and cultivate a positive environment in order to retain volunteers
- Develop a rapport with volunteers to ensure effective and impactful communication
- Foster a sense of community through immersive brainstorming sessions, held in a group setting
- Work with the Student Support Coordinator to reach as many homeless families as possible, and create matches between volunteers and students
- Work as a team with the Student Support Coordinator to find appropriate matches for volunteers and students
- Reporting, database management, and tracking communications with tutors
- Working knowledge of Salesforce or similar database management software
- Working knowledge of Google Suite, Zoom
- Passion for education
- Cultural sensitivity
- Empathy for students experiencing homelessness
- Strong communications/presentation experience
- Organizational and time management skills
- At least one year of experience in managing volunteers
- Educational requirement – Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Must be currently fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Must pass a Livescan Fingerprint background check
Salary and Benefits:
- Hourly rate – $19.23 to $21.63 DOE
- Medical, dental, and vision insurances, 403b plan.
- 10 days per year of paid vacation and 12 paid holidays, plus a day off for your birthday
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Wellness Program
- Professional Development stipend
- Flexibility – flexible working environment and telecommuting providing enough freedom to spread your wings.
- Autonomy – this position will provide you with a lot of autonomy as you will be required to take charge of projects and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ongoing coaching, training, career planning, and growth opportunities with room for vertical and horizontal mobility within the organization.
- Skill diversification – you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of tasks to develop your skills in many areas.
- Consistent and fair leadership – we’ll listen, share information, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Culture – you will be a part of a passionate, mission-driven team where your ideas and feedback will be listened to and encouraged. You will have opportunities to be a part of team-based projects resulting in bringing change to the organization.
At School on Wheels, we believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices working together will enable us to fulfill our mission of improving students’ lives through education.
To join this dedicated team, submit your cover letter, resume and work and/or writing samples (submitted as links and/or attachments) for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line containing “Volunteer Engagement Coordinator Region 9”
Our review of your submission will be focused on your passion for and understanding of our cause, meeting our technical and educational requirements as well as the thoroughness of your response. Lived experience plays a major factor for School on Wheels and we encourage you to share those experiences in your cover letter.