Reporting to the Executive Director, this position is responsible for overseeing and ensuring the effective operational, financial and regional activities of School on Wheels (SOW). This includes managing three regional teams covering 11 regions, planning, budgeting, overseeing financial management, bookkeeping, payroll, human resources, and all general office administration, a total of approximately 20 team members.
As a member of the Leadership Team, provide input to the Executive Director in the development of SOW’s strategic plans, policies and budgets.
- Work with the Executive Director to manage all regional teams geographically assigned in six counties in Southern California.
- Establish annual goals and objectives based on the strategic plan: set the tone and motivation to achieve those goals, evaluate results and performance and hold teams accountable for those achievements.
- Manage three Regional Team Leaders overseeing all SOW regional, volunteer and student coordinators.
- Work with a Regional Team Leader and associated staff to ensure the Skid Row Learning Center (SRLC) remains a vibrant learning environment and facility suitable for foundation and funder site visits.
- Manage budgeting and financial reporting.
- Assist in compiling the organization functional budget, employ strategies to safeguard assets, and ensure appropriate cash flow.
- Analyze and oversee monthly financial reports (P&L; Balance Sheet; Operating Expenses; Revenue/Donor)
- Monitor progress and develop monthly budget variance reports.
- Maintain accurate records of School on Wheels’ operating expenses and income and review monthly budget variance reports.
- Oversee bookkeeper’s role in managing payroll, accounts payables and receivables.
- Work with accountant/auditor to generate year-end financial statement and tax returns.
- Develop organization and project budgets for foundations, as needed.
- Manage checking, credit card and bank accounts.
- Translate strategic and tactical business plans into operational plans.
- Develop and maintain operational procedures and internal controls and policies.
- Oversee all general operations/administration activities to ensure efficiency and economy, including facilities and equipment maintenance, purchasing, material donations and mailings.
- Ensure the maintenance of infrastructure, e.g., telecommunications, technology, office systems.
Payroll & Bookkeeping
- Manages bi-weekly payroll working with bookkeeper and payroll service provider.
- Supervises review of invoices, payment authorization and timely payment.
- Coordinates QuickBooks and SalesForce donor databases.
- Supervises appropriate documentation of staff expense reports, payment authorization and reimbursement.
Human Resource Management
- Establish credibility throughout the organization to be an effective listener and problem solver of people issues.
- Ensure compliance with legal and staff needs and update Employee Handbook, policies and procedures, as necessary.
- Maintain personnel files, including new hire documentation, insurance coverage, performance management documentation and records.
- Manage annual open enrollment period by conducting cost/benefit analyses, working with broker, providing information to staff and maintaining database of employee benefits.
- Approximately seven years of increasing responsibility in business, financial and management experience.
- Strong belief in the mission and culture of School on Wheels. Interest in working for a mission-driven nonprofit organization and exemplifying SOW’s values, integrity and ethics.
- Significant background in financial planning, analysis and budgeting, superb business acumen and a sound understanding of business strategies.
- Substantial operational experience in evaluating, developing and implementing organizational policies, systems and structures.
- Successful track record in staff development, coaching and mentoring.
- Accustomed to prioritizing, executing, and achieving results in lean environments; always ready to engage and lend a hand where needed.
- Strong program or project management experience.
- Ability to inspire teams and work effectively with people of all levels in the organization.
At School on Wheels, we believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices working together will enable us to fulfill our mission of improving students lives through education.
To join this dedicated team, submit your cover letter and resume for consideration to email@example.com