Looking for a rewarding position where you can make a difference? Do you picture yourself working with an organization where trust, integrity, innovation, flexibility, passion, and teamwork are the main pillars of culture? If so, read on! We hire good people who share that belief.
School on Wheels is a fast-paced nonprofit organization working to change the lives of homeless children. Our goal is to shrink the gaps in their education and provide them with the highest level of education possible. As a Regional Coordinator, you will be responsible for recruiting, managing and supporting volunteers who work to change the lives of the homeless students they tutor.
Summary: Support organizational growth by strengthening volunteer program. The Volunteer Support Coordinator oversees the following geographic areas so frequent local travel is required: Costa Mesa | Santa Ana | Irvine | Tustin | Lake Forest | Orange
What you’ll do:
- Support and train volunteers, ensuring they have the tools needed to tutor their student.
- Marketing, outreach, and recruitment of new volunteers with targeted recruitment based on needs.
- Conduct follow up advanced volunteer training, working with experienced volunteers.
- Focus on volunteer retention and show them appreciation for the impact they have on students.
- Communicate with volunteers with a focus on personal connections and responsiveness to needs.
- Regular group meetings with volunteers to provide a sense of community and to share ideas.
- Work with student coordinator to reach every homeless family who needs our services.
- Work as team with student coordinator to find appropriate match for volunteer and student.
- Establish Volunteer Council to provide feedback to improving volunteer experience.
- Marketing and expansion of scholarships.
- Highlight star volunteers and students, share success stories.
- Database reporting, updating, and tracking of current volunteers and students, as well as alumni.
What we are looking for:
- One to three years experience managing volunteers, preferably working with at-risk children.
- Ability to perform in a team environment, while working independently.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation communication skills a must.
- Excellent computer and social media skills..
- Ability to represent SOW in the highest manner and exemplify SOW’s values, integrity and ethics.
- Drive and ambition; ready to make a difference each and every day.
- Local travel required; valid California driver’s license, auto insurance and use of personal vehicle.
- Lifting of material donations, including backpacks, school supplies, etc. required periodically.
Benefits and Opportunities you’ll receive:
- Salary DOE
- Medical, dental, vision, 403b plan.
- Paid vacation and holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy a personal life.
- Flexibility – flexible working environment and telecommuting. Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Autonomy – this position will provide you with a lot of autonomy as you will be required to take charge of projects and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Professional Development – we believe in investing in our team and giving you the tools to succeed. Ongoing coaching, training, and growth opportunities provided along with a professional development stipend each year.
- Skill variety – you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of tasks to develop your skills in many areas.
- Mobility – room for vertical and horizontal mobility within organization.
- Consistent and fair leadership – we’ll share information, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Culture – you will be a part of a passionate, mission-driven team where your ideas and feedback will be listened to and encouraged. You will have opportunities to be a part of team-based projects resulting in bringing change to the organization.
At School on Wheels, we believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices working together will enable us to fulfill our mission of improving students lives through education.
To join this dedicated team, submit your cover letter and resume for consideration to employment [at] schoolonwheels.org