This full-time position is responsible for the tender love and care of all things volunteering. Working as a team member, this includes outreach, recruiting, training, appreciation and retention, matching volunteers with students, training of volunteer tutor coordinators, working with parents and students to strengthen relationships with volunteers and School on Wheels.
This position will cover the South Los Angeles region, including Compton, Lynwood, Watts, Inglewood, Gardena, Downey and Torrance. Currently working from home due to COVID, this position is normally based at School on Wheels offices in Glendale.
Major responsibilities are outlined for the normal operations of School on Wheels, but are currently adapted for safety reasons due to COVID-19.
Outreach and Recruiting
- Recruit, manage and support volunteers to ensure an ongoing supply to meet student needs.
- Attend speaking engagements, volunteer tabling events, university, civic and other community events.
- Research, post and maintain online volunteer recruitment posts.
- Work with marketing and applications teams to target and recruit specific types of volunteers (e.g., higher-age; male) based on needs.
- Assist in nurturing corporate partnerships by identifying regional volunteer opportunities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other volunteer organizations in the area.
Volunteer Training and Development
- Conduct Advanced Volunteer Training with a Tutor Coordinator (TC) or experienced tutor, after 3 months or 8-12 sessions. Ensure current tutors are attending Advanced Training. Follow up after training to encourage participation in additional workshops, or training.
- Improve communications especially with new volunteers, focusing on needs and connections. Phone call after 3-6 sessions.
- Check in with active volunteers on a regular basis, at least monthly, and distribute relevant information and resources. Update database to reflect communications.
- Work as a team with Student Support Coordinator to support volunteers in all phases of tutoring.
- Work with Student Support Coordinator to identify the best possible one-on-one match for student and volunteer.
- Work as a team with the Student Support Coordinator to ensure assessments and DL training are completed in a timely fashion (second or third session).
- Work with Student Support Coordinator and site partners to create a space conducive to tutoring.
Volunteer Appreciation and Retention
- Conduct regular meetings with volunteers and TCs to provide a sense of community and share ideas/resources.
- Post, moderate and invite new tutors to join social media platforms.
- Develop a volunteer council or support group to provide feedback for improving volunteer experience and to identify retention strategies.
- Review exit surveys and evaluate ways to improve; conduct individual exit interviews with several tutors each quarter.
- Send thank you, birthday and other special event cards to volunteers, including special offers such as gift cards, vouchers and discounts.
- Assist with letters of recommendation or reference letters.
- Host volunteer appreciation events, at least once a year, preferably twice.
- Identify tutors of the month and success stories.
Strengthening of Volunteer/Student/Parent Relationship
- Work with Student Support Coordinator to enhance and implement surveys, deliver school supplies and backpacks to students, market and identify student scholarships.
- Maintain a schedule of other opportunities such as field trips or community events.
- Improve communication by sending confirmations and reminders of scheduled sessions.
- Conduct post-visits/calls/emails to track successes and identify problems so that relationships are maintained and improvements are made.
Recruitment and Training of TCs and tutors with specialized roles for Ambassador Program
- Identify specialized skills during volunteer interviews and recruit TCs from the current volunteer base.
- Work with Marketing, Partnerships and Coordinator Committee to implement Ambassador Program.
- Provide necessary training based on responsibilities, including conducting pre- and post-assessments.
- Identify tutors to help facilitate any new student programs secured through partnerships.
- Support and encourage TCs to attend workshops and events.
- Provide timely feedback, recognition and appreciation of volunteers.
School on Wheels Safety Policies and Guidelines
- Ensure that volunteers are following School on Wheels’s safety policies and guidelines, including logging policy.
- Ensure that volunteers are tutoring in a safe environment designated by School on Wheels by regularly visiting locations.
- Reiterate safety policy at first session with TPS agreement.
Database and Administration
- Update database with all required contact and volunteer information on a regular basis, including notes and demographic changes.
- Maintain an updated schedule and calendar of all activities and coordinate with Student Support Coordinator to maintain all forms and documents relating to volunteers in a secured location.
- Enforce policy and support tutors and TCs in logging tutoring hours.
- Frequent early evening and Saturday work required.
- Significant driving required; valid California driver’s license, auto insurance and use of personal vehicle (mileage reimbursed).
- Lifting of material donations, including backpacks, school supplies, etc. required periodically.
School on Wheels is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging inclusion and diversity in the workplace.
School on Wheels is a nonprofit organization made up of hundreds of volunteers, who give their time, talents and support to the educational needs of children experiencing homelessness. Founded in 1993, the mission of School on Wheels. is the enhancement of educational opportunities for children without a home, from kindergarten through the twelfth grade. Our goal is to shrink the gaps in the education of these children and provide them with the highest quality education possible.
To join this dedicated team, submit a cover letter and resume, including the position you are applying for in the subject line, for consideration to email@example.com.