Job Summary and Scope
Under the direct supervision of the Program Administrator, the Parent Coordinator will educate and engage parents, as well as serve as a liaison between the school and families throughout six counties in Southern California.
The Parent Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to collaborate with School on Wheels’ staff, schools, and community stakeholders to coordinate and facilitate parental involvement activities that support the educational wellbeing of students enrolled in our program. The Parent Coordinator will also work closely with our Literacy Leader and Program Team to develop meaningful strategies for parent engagement outside of school fostering a love of learning.
Set parent engagement goals, deliverables, and metrics in collaboration with the Program Administrator and Leadership team and meet regularly to assess progress
- Plan and coordinate engagement programs and activities, which include both in-person and online opportunities
- Attend community events to build relationships with shelters, schools and recruit community partners to provide additional support to families
- Organize and develop parent groups to address educational concerns and needs in and outside of the school system
- Provide timely feedback to School on Wheels staff and stakeholders
- Perform related duties as assigned
Strengthening of parent relationship with SOW
- Market and identify students for SOW scholarships; coordinate with college opportunities/ scholarships
- Develop a formal partnership with the most effective organization(s) to achieve the greatest impact for School on Wheels students.
- Enhance relationships with social services agencies (DPSS, DCFS, 211, FSC’s) working with Student Support Coordinators
- Serve as the point person for parent volunteer efforts and take lead in designing parent volunteer opportunities
- Work with coordinators to develop effective practices for tutors to engage and communicate effectively with parents
Develop parent/guardian engagement support most suited to School on Wheels population
- Work with Literacy Leader to research most effective methods of communicating with parents/guardians, recognizing they are integral to the success of the literacy program
- Establish partnerships with organizations who can provide ongoing parent education and training to School on Wheels families
- Work with the team on ways to provide tools for parents/guardians to support and reinforce student learning
Policy Research and Advocacy
- Research and become SOW expert on policies, regulations, rights regarding homelessness and education and communicate findings with SOW staff and parents
- Be aware of upcoming legislation and impact on students and emerging/shifting areas of need
- Be knowledgeable and have an understanding Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 and McKinney Vento Act and how they impact SOW students
- Assist with administration and collection of annual parent surveys
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- A strong ability to lead and develop positive working relationships with parents
- Competency in using technology for training and management purposes
- Strong interest in and commitment to promoting literacy
- Ability to stay organized, work efficiently, and multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Bilingual (Spanish) required
- Ability to perform in a team environment, while working independently
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with a wide variety of people — excellent, oral, written, and presentation communication skills
- Ability to independently prioritize and manage multiple tasks and satisfactorily meet deadlines, goals and objectives
- Ability to represent School on Wheels in the highest manner and exemplify School on Wheels values, integrity, and ethics
School on Wheels is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging inclusion and diversity in the workplace.
School on Wheels is a nonprofit organization made up of hundreds of volunteers, who give their time, talents and support to the educational needs of children experiencing homelessness. Founded in 1993, the mission of School on Wheels. is the enhancement of educational opportunities for children without a home, from kindergarten through the twelfth grade. Our goal is to shrink the gaps in the education of these children and provide them with the highest quality education possible.
To join this dedicated team, submit a cover letter and resume, including the position you are applying for in the subject line, for consideration to email@example.com.