School on Wheels is a nonprofit organization made up of hundreds of volunteers, who give their time, talents, and support to the educational needs of children experiencing homelessness. Founded in 1993, the mission of School on Wheels. is the enhancement of educational opportunities for children without a home, from kindergarten through the twelfth grade. Our goal is to shrink the gaps in the education of these children and provide them with the highest quality education possible.
Please note volunteer trainings are currently held online but may resume in-person in Los Angeles, Ventura, San Bernardino, and Orange counties; therefore, travel is a required part of this position.
The trainer and development coordinator actively researches, creatively designs, and implements effective methods to educate, enhance performance and provide development opportunities to both volunteers and staff of School on Wheels. This position assesses and provides training and learning opportunities to enhance the volunteer experience, ensures current training programs are preparing new volunteers for their role and provides ongoing development opportunities for advancing volunteer skills and knowledge. The trainer and development coordinator works with team leaders/supervisors and the career path team to identify staff development needs that will enhance knowledge and skills and provide team members with guidance and help in advancing their careers in the organization.
Applicants must be currently fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Major responsibilities are outlined for the normal operations of School on Wheels but are currently adapted for safety reasons due to COVID-19.
- Work with a team of trainers, conduct introductory training for all incoming volunteer tutors.
- Create introductory and advanced training schedules throughout the counties served.
- Organize and confirm locations for training in consultation with coordinators.
- Support coordinators by contacting and encouraging tutors to attend advanced training and view online workshops.
- Maintain and submit records of attendance.
- Analyze training feedback from surveys or other sources.
- Evaluate and assess the effectiveness of all training and development programs and utilize relevant evaluation data to revise or recommend changes in instructional content, methods and objectives.
- Phone/survey current tutors to evaluate training and workshop needs impacting volunteer and student engagement.
- Assist program team in updating online tutorials and training.
- Research topics, recruit presenters and facilitate monthly online tutor workshops.
- Direct tutors to participate in suggested activities for College and Career Month.
- Support and assist with creating an online community for tutors to share experiences and populate with resources.
- Work with the career pathing committee to ensure all team members have a clearly laid out path for advancement within the organization.
- Maintain a simple database of internal and external training opportunities to assist team members in advancing their career paths.
- Collaborate with the leadership team for training of staff at development meetings.
- Assist with onboarding of new staff members.
- Create staff training programs with the collaboration of other departments or teams.
- Identify training needs at both an organizational and individual level.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Evening and weekend work required.
- This position is remote at the moment; however, extensive local travel will be required; valid California driver’s license, auto insurance, and use of a personal vehicle (mileage reimbursed).
- Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination required
- Prior experience (2-3 years) in training or teaching adults.
- Excellent public speaking skills and a professional, customer-service-oriented demeanor.
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining communication with appropriate staff.
- Comfort with technology in order to run training programs online and in-person and troubleshoot technical issues.
- Ability to represent SOW in the highest manner and exemplify SOW’s values, integrity, and ethics.
- Familiarity with online training programs like Articulate preferred.
Benefits and Opportunities
- Salary DOE
- Medical, dental, vision, 403b plan.
- Paid vacation and holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy a personal life.
- Flexibility: flexible working environment and telecommuting. Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Autonomy: this position will provide you with a lot of autonomy as you will be required to take charge of projects and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Professional development: we believe in investing in our team and giving you the tools to succeed. Ongoing coaching, training, and growth opportunities are provided along with a professional development stipend each year.
- Skill variety: you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of tasks to develop your skills in many areas.
- Mobility: room for vertical and horizontal mobility within the organization.
- Consistent and fair leadership: we’ll share information, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Culture: you will be a part of a passionate, mission-driven team where your ideas and feedback will be listened to and encouraged. You will have opportunities to be a part of team-based projects resulting in bringing change to the organization.
At School on Wheels, we believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices working together will enable us to fulfill our mission of improving students’ lives through education.
To join this dedicated team, submit a cover letter and resume, including “Trainer” in the subject line, for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
School on Wheels is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging inclusion and diversity in the workplace.