Becoming a volunteer can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life. We are currently seeking online volunteer tutors who
- are 18 and older,
- live in California,
- have stable high-speed internet access,
- have a computer with a webcam, and
- are comfortable tutoring in a digital environment,
AND who possess one or more of the below skills:
- experience tutoring or mentoring children/youth;
- experience teaching life skills or social and emotional learning skills;
- a background in literacy;
- a background in teaching, psychology, child development, or social work; or
- fluency in both English and Spanish.
If this is you, please continue reading to find out more!
The Application Process
After you complete the application we will send you a link to our 45-minute orientation, to watch at your convenience.
Next, we will invite you to register for a live online introductory training session.
All volunteers must also complete a Live Scan fingerprint background check. Please note: this can be completed prior to training, as well.
After you are approved to tutor, your School on Wheels coordinator will train you in our virtual classroom. By that time, they will be in the process of reviewing your volunteer preferences and identifying the ideal student to make the perfect student/tutor match!
As a volunteer tutor, you will be joining a team of dedicated and committed volunteers. We ask that you are able to:
- Tutor consistently for a minimum of one hour per week typically between the hours of 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Complete our advanced training after three months of tutoring.
- Demonstrate patience, persistence, and an innate love of learning.
- Commit to a full year of volunteering.
Other Volunteering Opportunities
Remote Administrative Assistant
Virtual Backpack Drive Host
If you have other specialized skills such as fundraising, translation, graphic design, public speaking, workshop facilitation, etc. we would love to hear from you as we may be able to create a custom volunteer opportunity for you.
To inquire about these opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.