Are you passionate about education? Become a volunteer tutor today and help a child experiencing homelessness reach their learning goals.
Just one hour a week of either virtual or in-person tutoring makes a big difference for a student. After completing the application process, you will be matched with a child or youth based on your availability and tutoring skillset. It will be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life!
There is one main thing that has kept me volunteering for almost eight years now: I love seeing the look on a student’s face when they finally understand the thing they have been struggling with.
Becoming a volunteer can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life.
We are currently seeking online volunteer tutors who
- are 18 and older,
- live in California,
- have stable high-speed internet access,
- have a computer with a webcam, and
- are comfortable tutoring in a digital environment.
We are also currently seeking in-person volunteer tutors for a limited number of opportunities who
- are 18 and older,
- live in Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernadino, Riverside, or Santa Barbara counties,
- are fully vaccinated against COVID-19,
- are comfortable tutoring onsite at select shelter partners, and
- want to help kids K-4 with reading and literacy skills.
In order to complete your application, you’ll need the following information: your general availability to tutor (days of week, morning/afternoon/evening), an emergency contact (name and phone), and 2 non-family references (name/phone/email).
With this information, it will usually take less than 10 minutes to complete your application. To successfully submit it, you must complete the entire form, including the signature page. Thank you!
If you have previously tutored with us, please contact email@example.com before filling out a new application.
You can also sign up for our newsletter to stay updated if our requirements change to include non-Californian residents.
After you are approved to tutor, your School on Wheels coordinator will train you in our virtual classroom. By that time, they will be in the process of reviewing your volunteer preferences and identifying the ideal student to make the perfect student/tutor match!
As a volunteer tutor, you will be joining a team of dedicated and committed volunteers. We ask that you are able to:
- Tutor consistently for a minimum of one hour per week typically between the hours of 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Complete our advanced training after three months of tutoring.
- Demonstrate patience, persistence, and an innate love of learning.
- Commit to a full year of volunteering.
Other Volunteering Opportunities
If you have other specialized skills such as fundraising, translation, graphic design, public speaking, workshop facilitation, etc. we would love to hear from you as we may be able to create a custom volunteer opportunity for you.
To inquire about these opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.