Do You Know Your Educational Rights?

If your nighttime residence is temporary or if you are staying in a motel, campground, shelter, or vehicle, you and your children have special legal rights at school.

Those rights include:

  • Staying in the same school even if you move, and receiving transportation to that school, as long as it is in your child’s best interest.
  • Enrolling in school immediately.
  • Receiving free school meals.
  • Getting help with school supplies and other needs such as electronic devices, Internet access, chargers, and other support for distance or in-person learning.

To access these rights you do not need: 

  • Proof of residency
  • Immunization or other health records
  • School records
  • Legal guardianship papers

Need help? Email us at or call us at 323-632-3700