Homelessness in America
Accurate statistics regarding the number of children without homes are difficult to obtain. The homeless population is constantly in flux. The statistics are the most recent and admittedly under-estimated. Most counts do not specifically identify children, do not include families staying in motels, or children living in group foster homes.
Children experiencing homelessness are:
- nine times more likely to repeat a grade,
- three times more likely to be placed in special education,
- and four times more likely to drop out of school entirely.
How Many Children are Homeless in the USA?
- One in every 30 American children goes to sleep without a home of his or her own each year.
- Approximately 2.5 million children are homeless annually in the United States.
- On any given day, there are approximately 443,000 children in foster care in the United States.
How Many Children are Homeless in California?
- Over half a million California children are homeless.
- One in every 20 children in California do not have a home.
- California ranks 48 out of 50 in extent of youth homelessness.
- Families with young children now account for one third of the homeless population in California.
- The number of K-12 students experiencing homelessness in California has risen more than 20 percent in the past four years.
- The counties we serve have the highest percentage of these students in California.
How Many Children are Homeless in Los Angeles County?
- Los Angeles has the highest chronic homeless population in the nation.
- One third of all homeless people are children, under the age of 18.
- In Los Angeles County there are 65,484 students without homes.
School Districts Served by School on Wheels
In the counties where School on Wheels currently provides tutoring and mentoring services, 163,400 students have been identified as living in homeless situations by their school districts.
- 65,484 students in Los Angeles County
- 29,323 students in Orange County
- 32,546 students in San Bernardino County
- 21,206 students in Riverside County
- 9,333 students in Santa Barbara County
- 5,508 students in Ventura County
What are some resources to find out more about homelessness in the U.S. and how I can help?
- State of Crisis: Dismantling Student Homelessness in California
- Children in Foster Care in the US
- America’s Youngest Outcasts: A Report on Child Homelessness
- National Center for Homeless Education
- National Alliance to End Homelessness
- National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth
- Books dealing with homelessness