School on Wheels is a nonprofit organization with hundreds of volunteers who give their time, talents, and support to the educational needs of unhoused children. School on Wheels aims to enhance educational opportunities for children — kindergarten through twelfth grade without a home. Our mission since 1993 has been to shrink educational gaps and provide students with the highest quality education possible.
Since 1993, we have
- Provided mentoring and tutoring for more than 50,000 students.
- Reached six counties in Southern California.
- Partnered with 400+ sites, including shelters, school districts, and after-school programs.
- Supplying approximately 5,000 students with school supplies yearly.
The Program Development Coordinator for the Skid Row Learning Center (SRLC) will be responsible for developing programs and curriculum, instructing students and overseeing volunteers at our Skid Row Learning Center – located in Downtown Los Angeles. This role is instrumental in meticulously planning and executing impactful programs for our students and ensuring the learning center is an inclusive and welcoming environment for all of our students, families and volunteers.
● Help run the After-School Program at our Skid Row Learning Center (SRLC) as one of our instructors
● Implement curriculum for students grades K-12 attending the SRLC
● Organize and supervise art projects and field trips
● Recruit students from The Union Rescue Mission (URM)
● Recruit, train, and supervise the SRLC volunteers – insure success by providing the necessary resources
● Create and cultivate a positive environment in order to retain students and volunteers
● Facilitate the intake process for families – assist with school enrollments if needed
● Distribute and collect annual student/parent surveys
● Develop a rapport with parents and students to ensure regular and impactful communication
● Serve as a liaison between School on Wheels and the local LAUSD homeless liaison officer
● Network with Union Rescue Mission, local schools, and social service agencies
● Reporting and database management
● Support the Executive Director and leadership team with communication to foundations and donors during site visits
● At least 2 years experience working in a classroom or educational environment, preferably working with at-risk children or children experiencing homelessness
●Demonstrate excellent technology skills, including competence with Google Workspace tools, Salesforce, online learning platforms, and troubleshooting technology issues
●Experience collaborating on and designing curriculum
●Exhibit strong communication skills, both orally and in writing, with the capacity to deliver effective presentations.
●Experience with volunteer recruitment, retention and management
●Experience and interest in data management, with a focus on maintaining organized and accurate records to inform decision-making
●Ability to represent SOW in the highest manner; exemplify SOW values and ethics
●Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
●Possess a learner’s mindset, demonstrating a commitment to acquiring new skills and growing in the role
●Exhibit cultural sensitivity and empathy for students experiencing homelessness
●Bilingual- English/Spanish preferred
● Full Time (Monday-Friday 10am-6pm)
●In-Person (Our learning center is located right in the heart of Skid Row in Los Angeles)
●Salary: $19.24 – $22.12 DOE
● Dental Insurance
● Vision insurance
● Flexible schedule
● Health insurance
● Life insurance
● Paid time off
● Parental leave
● Employee assistance program
● Professional development assistance