Ask A Tutor Tuesday – 12/9/2015
Question: What is the School on Wheels policy on gift giving over the holidays? I would like to give my student something but I’m not sure what is appropriate. Thanks.
This is a great question! It’s completely understandable to want to share a gift with your student over the holiday season. School on Wheels encourages creative and project-oriented gift giving, rather than spending money on purchased gifts, which can cause friction with siblings or make the parent(s) feel uncomfortable. Here are some ideas:
- School supplies: If your student is running low on notebooks, pens and paper, or anything else, ask your regional coordinator for some additional supplies.
- Books can be a wonderful present for students, and we have lots available at the Skid Row Learning Center. Ask your regional coordinator or drop by during business hours.
- If you want to be creative, think about your student’s interests. If you have a skill, such as playing an instrument, perhaps you could perform for him/her. Alternatively, make something unique for your student. Even a simple handmade card will show your student you care.
- Teach your student something they are interested in (a language, instrument, or craft). For example, show your student how to count and write in Japanese.
- Do a holiday-themed craft project with your student. See this link for ideas. Most of the materials for these projects can be found at home or provided by your regional coordinator.
Remember to always check with your student’s parent or guardian before you give a gift or do a project with religious connotations. Most of all, have fun!
We would be happy to hear any additional thoughts and suggestions on our Facebook page!
About the Tutors: Timesia Garcia is a dedicated volunteer, passionate about helping others. She studies sociology at a local community college and has been tutoring with School on Wheels for almost two years.
Amanda Carr is the Trainer/Floating Coordinator at School on Wheels. Before joining the organization, she taught English and writing at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and worked as a volunteer manager at the Mount Holyoke College Alumnae Association.
Have a question for our Ask a Tutor feature?
Email askatutor [at] schoolonwheels.org or use the #AskATutor hashtag on any of our social media sites.