Students of the Month – April 2016
Skid Row Learning Center
– Killiy, 6th Grade. Killiy has earned March’s coveted designation of Student of the Month for three reasons. First, Killiy always comes to School On Wheels prepared to work. As soon as she’s done eating her snack, she always takes out her agenda for inspection and direction on what to work on that day. Second, Killiy often goes above the call of duty by volunteering for online tutoring in an effort to close her gaps in learning. Finally, her preparation and self-motivation have resulted in an ever improving report card that now has 2 A’s!
Brian Lopez, Skid Row Learning Center Instructor
Region 1 – East LA, El Monte
– Madison, Kindergarten. Madison is a very bright young girl. From the first tutor session to now, Madison has made great progress. I notice the improvement in her spelling and writing in particular. Madison has progressed so much that she made honor roll at her school.
Emily Alfaro, Tutor
Region 5 – Hollywood, Silver Lake, Highland Park
– Sokari, Kindergarten. When I met Sokari, he hadn’t even started kindergarten yet. During our first sessions he would often bring toys to get out of “school stuff” and now he brings books excited to show me what he can read. As much as I enjoy seeing his academic progress, it’s even better to see his personality shine through when he’s showing me his dance moves or the right way to draw his favorite superheroes.
Sabrina Aguilar, Tutor
Region 7 – San Fernando Valley
– Aranza, 6th Grade. My student, Aranza is in the 6th grade. Her favorite subject is math and she is very good at it. I am strong in a number of subjects; however, math is not one of my strong suits. Aranza always has a laugh when I have to use my calculator to check her math homework. Aranza also likes to doodle and draw. She enjoys playing games on her phone, especially 10:10 and she likes to watch “Clarence” on Netflix. Her favorite holiday is Halloween. Last year she was a cat and the year before she was Hannah Montana. She would like to become a surgeon as she enjoys learning about anatomy. Congratulations, Aranza!
Cindy Gunn, Tutor
Region 10 – South Orange County
– Isaiah, 10th Grade and Isabel, 1st Grade. Mom is so grateful for Mark and Mellina!
“They are doing so well in school. Especially, Isaiah. His grades went up within a few weeks after receiving tutoring. Mark and Mellina have really made a big impact on all of my children. I am very grateful for the program and for both Mark & Mellina.”
– Leilanni, 1st Grade. My student Leilanni enjoys working on the computer. I believe she is more engaged in our tutoring sessions because she can work on the computer. Leilanni now likes to type questions and problems on the whiteboard, and then solve them. When Leilanni realizes she has solved questions and problems correctly, her face lights up and she gets excited. Not only has she learned something new; she is proud of herself. Leilanni also loves to see my kitten Spyder who sometimes shows up to our online tutoring sessions! It has been a joy to watch her grow in her academics and self-confidence.
Leilanni is teaching me about Elsa and Anna of Arendelle from the Frozen movie. She loves to draw. We enjoy playing Hangman and Tic Tac Toe at the end of our sessions. She frequently wins. We also ask each other questions about what we’ve learned that day.
Leilanni is a special person. She is capable of overcoming many obstacles when she grows up. I am so happy to call Leilanni the School on Wheels Online Student of the Month. She has earned it!
Cathie Alter, Online Tutor