Tutors of the Month – June 2016
Skid Row Learning Center
– Sahand Pirbadian and Pouye Sedighian. One of the main character traits we help the students learn is teamwork. The wonderful husband and wife team of Sahand and Pouye is the perfect example! Every single Thursday they come to the Learning Center together to tutor whoever needs help. They also join us at the shelter when we take the students to play in the gym. Together they designed and executed an active game to help the kindergarteners learn the alphabet!
Here is what Sahand had to say about their experience, “We love tutoring at School on Wheels because we believe in the importance of education for every student’s future well-being. Coming to School on Wheels is an absolute joy and the highlight of every single week for us.”
Allison Maldonado, Skid Row Learning Center Instructor
Region 1 – East LA
– Destiny Mendez. Destiny is a dedicated tutor and intern! She first joined School on Wheels in September 2015 and has been integral to the support and success of Region 1. She has served as a Tutor Coordinator for three sites, tutoring students at our various group homes and domestic violence shelters. Destiny plans weekly fun and creative activities to engage her students and provides continuing administrative support to staff. I could not be more grateful for her hard work and commitment.
In her own words, “I am honored to have the opportunity to work with such an amazing team. They all have one goal in mind and that is to help kids. When I started with School on Wheels, it exceeded my expectations. Getting the opportunity to work with these kids changed my perspective on life.”
Daisy Arce, Regional Coordinator
Region 2 – South LA
– Rihana Noorzayee. Rihana is a very busy middle school student who finds the time to be a consistent tutor. She is accompanied by her mother Zarin, who often helps during her sessions. Rihana is so dedicated; she has been with the same student since she joined School on Wheels a year ago. She was recognized for her dedication by being awarded the Presidential Service Award for 100 hours of volunteering. I’m grateful to have her and Zarin in this region!
Kenisha Edwards, Regional Coordinator
Region 3 – Westside
– Elin Schwartz. Elin was one of the first tutors that I had the pleasure of speaking with when I first started as Regional Coordinator in Region 3. I am so impressed and thankful for the amount of time and care she puts into her tutoring sessions and her student. She doesn’t just come to help with homework, but she works hard at identifying what exactly her student needs help with and filling in those gaps. Thank you so much, Elin, for your dedication and passion!
Tutoring has always been something I enjoyed. As a child, I worked with neighbor kids; through the years, I have volunteered at Headstart, PATH and Koreh LA. I found School on Wheels again a few years ago, after having tutored back in the 90’s when SOW was first forming. It was exciting to see how much it has grown and really inspiring to be part of it again.
Kyle McDonough, Regional Coordinator
Region 4 – Long Beach, South Bay
– John Park. I wanted to join School on Wheels as a volunteer to make a positive impact in the lives of disadvantaged homeless kids. Being a positive role model and helping students build the foundation for their lives is extremely rewarding. From the supportive coordinators to the families and their children, it has been a wonderful experience. Watching the kids work, improve, and grow, despite great adversity, is nothing less than inspirational.
Louis Mena, Regional Coordinator
Region 6 – Inland Empire
– Cheyne Burton. Cheyne has been an amazing School on Wheels tutor and tutor coordinator (TC) for the past year. Each week Cheyne provides consistency for the students, logs his hours regularly and uses creative techniques to engage the students in learning. Cheyne is not only an outstanding tutor and TC but is also a phenomenal positive role model. As a TC, he goes the extra mile. As a tutor and role model he looks for ways to motivate his students and guide them. Here is what Cheyne has to say about his experience as a tutor:
“Since I began tutoring with School on Wheels in April of 2015, my goal has been to help students with homework, offer guidance with career planning, or just be a friend that they know they can count on. The consistency I can provide students is the most rewarding aspect of tutoring at School on Wheels.”
Thank you for your dedication, you are such an inspiration, Cheyne!
Marisol Farfan, Regional Coordinator
Region 12 – North Orange County
– Gabi Marino. Gabi is an amazing tutor. She brings a lot of creativity and fun into their experience. Ramon seems very excited to see her and stays engaged throughout. I feel so blessed to have tutors like Gabi that have the heart and the passion. Thank you for making a difference Gabi! You are greatly appreciated!!
In her own words, “I have been tutoring with School on Wheels since September 2015; it has been a wonderful experience! I am currently studying to become a middle school math teacher. Tutoring has given me great practice and even more excitement about becoming a teacher.”
Trish Arias, Regional Coordinator
– Fahim Zubair. Fahim’s unwavering dedication to his students and his meticulous attention to detail during his online tutoring sessions are qualities that provide our students with an essential foundation to grow and thrive. A college student at the University of Texas at Austin, Fahim has been an online tutor with us for over a year! We are so thankful to have Fahim on our team.
In his own words:
I cherish my experience with Schools on Wheels. Tutoring Vern and Killiy has been an irreplaceable experience for me. The drive, passion, and grit that Vern and Killy have demonstrated continue to fuel my own drive to achieve and pursue my goals and passions in life! I would like to express my deep appreciation to Schools on Wheels for providing me with the amazing opportunity and for opening my eyes to the realities of homelessness in the lives of our children and youth.
Ian Chan, Digital Learning Coordinator